By: Ginelle Ruffa, Certified Integrative Health Coach & Fitness Trainer
The majority of our nation is overfed and undernourished. How can this be? People are settling for fake food alternatives that are wreaking havoc on their health. Not only are these foods void of nutrients, but they are also processed and therefore suppress immunity, making one more susceptible to disease.
It’s time we learn to snack smart and incorporate these superstar nutrients into our daily diets! Next time hunger strikes, rather than settling for “fake” food that is void of nutrients, try these simple snack swaps to nourish your body and satisfy your cravings!
1. Crackers → Cucumbers
● Rather than reaching for empty calories to satisfy your craving for “crunch,’ reach for cucumbers, dipped in hummus.
○ Snak Superstar: Cucumbers are a rich source of silica, to promote beautiful, healthy hair, skin, and nails.
2. Cereal → Nuts
● Your cereal box may advertise “fortified nutrients,” but those nutrients are synthetic, not naturally derived, so the body can’t properly absorb and utilize them. Instead, opt for nuts.
○ Snack Superstar: Nuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids to promote brain health, skin health and provide sustainable, lasting energy.
3. Chips → Kale Chips
● Craving a salty snack? Ditch the bag of chips and make some delicious and nutritious kale chips instead!
○ Snack Superstar: Kale is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet! Rich in iron, magnesium, vitamins K & A to name a few, kale promotes a strong immune system, while detoxing the body naturally.
4. Popcorn → Pumpkin Seeds
● Got the munchies? You may want to reach for popcorn, but that popcorn is probably genetically modified, plus loaded highly inflammatory omega-6 vegetable oils, impairing digestive health and leading to pain and inflammation. Instead, grab a handful of pumpkin seeds!
○ Snack Superstar: Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of zinc and iron to help strengthen immunity, as well as magnesium to boost the mood and promote restful sleep.
5. Bread → Sweet Potato
● Craving carbs? That’s okay, our body needs them! But from healthy, whole food sources, not processed alternatives. Give sweet potato toast a try!
○ Snack Superstar: Sweet potatoes contain beta carotene, which the body converts to Vitamin A to promote visual health, skin health, and a strong, healthy immune system.
6. Pasta → Beans
● Mangia! Mangia! If you’re like me and Italiano, you may have been raised on white pasta, but you also may have witnessed your Italian relatives suffer from heart disease, diabetes, and cancer….enough said. If it’s white, don’t bite!
○ Snack Superstar: Give bean pasta a try! Lentil rotini is loaded with a whopping 26 g protein per serving to promote muscle development and satiety. Not to mention protein serves as the vital building blocks for hair, skin, and nail health.
7. Ice Cream → Chia pudding
● Craving something sweet and satisfying? Ditch the ice cream. Chia pudding will do the trick!
○ Snack Superstar: Chia seeds are a rich source of omega-3 fats to reduce inflammation and promote cognitive function. Plus chia seeds are a rich source of fiber and protein to promote satiety and aid in health weight loss.
8. Candy → Berries
● Reaching for your child’s halloween treat- oh no you didn’t! Opt for nature’s candy instead!
○ Snack Superstar: Berries are loaded with antioxidants to protect the cells from free radical damage, to strengthen immunity, ward off disease, and helps slow the aging process. Bonus: super berries like gogi and acai pack an additional nutrient punch!
9. Milk Chocolate → Dark Chocolate
● Not all chocolate is created equal! While cacao is an antioxidant-rich superfood, loaded with magnesium, to boost immunity and mental health, when watered down with milk and sugar, the health benefits are hidden. So ditch the milk and opt for dark chocolate!
○ Snack Superstar: Cacao is rich in calcium, magnesium, and
antioxidants to support strong bones and a healthy immune system. Bonus: opt for dairy-free, sugar-free (stevia or monk fruit sweetened) chocolate for optimal health benefits!
10.Soda → Kombucha
● Need a sweet, refreshing beverage? Ditch the Soda and opt for Kombucha!
○ Snack Superstar: Kombucha yields a rich source of probiotics to promote digestive health and immunity (80% of the immune system is located in the gut, so healthy gut, healthy body!) Bonus: opt for Kombucha with no added sugar.
So next time you reach for a snack, opt for these healthy alternatives to keep your body full and fueled!
For more health tips or to book a free nutritional consultation, contact Living Local Health & Fitness Expert, Ginelle Ruffa: email@example.com and stay connected on instagram! @ginelleruffa